Car insurance is a must if you have a car. Most countries require you to carry insurance, and without that, you face a financial disaster if you cause a serious accident and are sued.
Car insurance can also be damaged or natural disasters, such as hail or fire, or be damaged or stolen.
Type of car insurance
One policy can cover several types of coverage. Liability insurance for damage and injury to others when you cause an accident.
Most countries require that you carry at least a minimum level of bodily injury and liability for property damage. See minimum car insurance conditions.
The coverage limit is expressed as three numbers. The 25/50/25 limit, for example, will provide up to $ 25,000 per person injured in an accident, up to $ 50,000 coverage for injuries per accident and $ 25,000 for property damage per accident.
Remember, insurance is responsible for paying for others; it does not protect you, your passengers or your car.
Personal injury protection (PIP) or medical payment (MedPay) coverage pays medical bills for you and your passengers after a car accident, regardless of who caused the accident.
PIP also includes lost wages and funeral fees. Some countries require you to buy PIP or MedPay.
Uninsured motorists (UM) and uninsured motorists (UIM) come to the rescue if you are hit by drivers who do not have insurance or insufficient coverage. UM pays your medical bills if you are injured in an accident caused by an uninsured driver.
UIM kick if you exceed the coverage limits of another driver responsibility. UM and UIM are needed in several states.
Damage to uninsured motor property, property (UMPD) protects your car if an uninsured driver hits you, but the coverage is not available in each state. About one in eight drivers is not insured, according to the 2014 Insurance Research Board report.
Collision pays to repair your own vehicle after an accident. This is an optional form of coverage, even though your car loan lender might require you to have it. Collision will kick if you hit a tree, for example. Or, if an uninsured driver hits you and you don’t have UMPD, you can make a collision claim to repair your car.
Every collision payment will be reduced by the amount of your collision reduction.
Comprehensive coverage has a misleading name because it only applies in certain circumstances. He pays if your car is stolen (and not found) or damaged by a natural disaster, if you hit an animal or if your car is damaged.
Like a collision, comprehensive is optional, but your creditors may need it. Here too, comprehensive claim payments will be reduced by the amount of your deductible.
Roadside assistance and other additions can be useful in an emergency. Roadside assistance includes withdrawal and roadside emergency services when your car is damaged. Rental changes pay for rental cars while your car is in the shop after an accident.
Accountability coverage occurs if the insurance company declares your total loss, and the payment from the insurance company of the vehicle’s actual cash value is less than the amount you have for a car loan.
How car insurance rates are applied
The price you pay for car insurance depends on the type and amount of coverage you buy, deductible for collisions and comprehensive insurance, the type of vehicle you have and the characteristics of you and other drivers listed in the policy.
Factors that insurers generally consider when setting your rate include:
- Your driving record. Speeding up tickets and other violations increase premiums.
- Your accident history and claims. There is no point in trying to hide your problem before. The Insurer will access your C.L.U.E. Report to find out your claims for the past seven years.
- Your age. The highest price for teenagers because they are risky drivers. Their accident rate per mile driven is about three times that of drivers aged 20 and older, according to the Insurance Institute for Road Safety. Prices start to fall around the age of 25, and you will likely enjoy the best rates in their 50s and early 60s.
- Your credit record. A good credit history helps keep premiums low. The insurer says there is a relationship between a bad credit history and the possibility of making a claim. Not all countries allow credit to be a factor in pricing car insurance.
- Where do you live. Car insurance rates vary by country and also with postal codes. Basic level insurance where the car is garaged.
- How much you drive. Day trips and your daily mileage will affect your rates. The more your car is on the road, the greater your chances of claiming.
Shopping for car insurance
Consider your assets when deciding how much liability insurance to buy. The minimum state requirement for coverage is too low for many people.
Comprehensive collisions and insurance are important for newer vehicles, but are usually not cost effective for the clunker.
Shop around for car insurance quotes – rates, policy options and customer service vary by insurance companies.
And make sure you make use of discount on orders to lower your bill. Common discounts include for some vehicles based on policies, automatic security features, anti-theft devices, and good students.
You might also be able to get discounts to pay in full, buy home insurance with the same insurance company, or become a customer for several years or more.